Physical Therapy and Neurological Rehabilitation
Physical Therapy is an integral part of the medical treatments in addition to prevention and drug therapies. The different methods of treatments used by Florida Neurologic Center are:
- Diathermy, or deep heat treatment, reduces pain and inflammation.
- Interferential Current Treatment is an electrical field treatment that reduces pain and inflammation, and stimulates healing.
- Ultrasound consists of high frequency sound waves, which are used to obtain therapeutic levels of heating within the body to stimulate circulation and the healing process and also reduce pain and inflammation.
- Cervical and Lumbar Tractions, it uses a pulling system in order to stretch the cervical and lumbar spine to try and relieve the pressure on the nerve roots.
- Decompression, Reduction and Stabilization, this treatment uses the most sophisticated mechanized, high tech pain reduction and healing system which allows a decrease in the intradiscal pressure resulting in shrinkage of the herniation and an improvement of the nerve root pressure.
- Neuromodulator Treatment, is used for stimulating the production of endorphins which are the patient's own pain fighting substances, and it is used in the treatment of muscle-contraction and migraine headaches.
- Functional Electrical Stimulation, is used for rehabilitation of paralyzed muscles and uses specific patterns and computerized programs to induce muscle contractions in patients with muscle atrophy or limb paralysis.
- Neuromuscular Therapy, is a highly therapeutic massage, which works with specific trigger points in the body, which are associated with pain.
- Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation, is a pain management, which uses electrical impulses through electrodes placed on the skin to influence the underlying nerve fibers by trying to stop the pain messages that go to the central nervous system.